FanPost

Wolves Draft History: Stats people please help?


It seems like there's a lot of statistically orientated people on this site.  Just wondering about something related to the Wolves inability to move up even 1 spot in the lottery despite numerous chances.  I've always been curious about the probability of having repeated high lotto seedings without capitalizing.  What's the correct way to compute this?

Would it be correct to muliply the probabilities that we didn't move up each year?  For instance, we had .924, .916 and .905 probabilities of not picking 1st, 2nd or 3rd last year.  Or multiplying together, a 76.6% chance of not moving into the top 3.  Is this correct?  If so, I went back to thru the infamous 1992 (Shaq) draft and multiplied all the chances we had to move up (or not move up for computation).  A couple years we actually maintained our top 3 status so I just multiplied the 2 opportunities for us to not move up those years.  I rounded off and found...

The Wolves had a 3% chance of not moving into or higher within the top 3 once in all our lotto chances since 1992.  There was a 97% chance of us moving up at least once during all of those lotto forays, but we haven't done it.

I'm no stats guy though so maybe someone can correct my error.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Canis Hoopus

You must be a member of Canis Hoopus to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Canis Hoopus. You should read them.

Join Canis Hoopus

You must be a member of Canis Hoopus to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Canis Hoopus. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker