That's it folks. The season is over. We currently have the NBAs 12th worst record and we're falling faster than just about anybody. We have about 8 more weeks, or 24 games of straight up free fall. To be honest with you, this the lowest moment we've experienced this season. That dishonor goes to the 3 - 5 record the Wolves earned in the 8 games leading up to Kevin Loves second hand injury. A moderately healthy Wolves team ended up being just OK, which is gut wrenching to think about.
So my question for you is this. What do the Wolves do from now to the start of the 2013/2014 NBA season? What can we hope for that makes September 2013 as exciting as September 2012?
My list is as follows...
1) No more injuries! I don't mind thigh contusions or mild ankle sprains. In fact, part of me likes them for obvious reasons. I just don't want anyone to break or tear something that prevents them from touching a basketball for months at a time.
2) Welcome back moral victories! If Dante Cunningham, Derrick Williams, Ricky Rubio and Alexey Shved want to have productive games them more power to them. Just don't do something stupid and get a W. We need a young super talented center and a young super talented SG. We can't do that by beating teams at the bottom of the league.
3) Trade Kevin Love. He's one of the best players in the NBA. He unique offensive skillset is a sight to behold. However, he doesn't want to be here. He isn't too likeable. He's going to test free agency in two and a half years. Let's get someone who's just as talented, can play some defense a little better, and wouldn't be averse to looking for a Rubio alley oop every once in a while.
4) Don't resign Pek. He's lovable and super talented when the ball is in his hands within 6 feet of the basket. He matches up poorly with 1/2 of the starting frontcourts in the NBA and he struggles on half the court. His value on the market simply doesn't match what he's worth on the court.
5) Familiarize yourself! Get to know the names of McLemore, Noel, Zeller and Smart. Pray we can draft one this summer.
6) Bring over Bjelica! He'll be 24 this time next year. It's now or never for this interesting European prospect.
So what do you think? Am I missing anything? What are the chances these things happen?