It's 2:00pm on a Friday and if you're still at work, you deserve what little Wolves reading there is:
- The announcement that a couple preseason games are going to be played in non-NBA towns is certainly getting the Wolves some press. The Billings Gazette has a OKC/Wolves preview, as do the Bismarck Tribune and KXMC (Minot). No offense Minot, but get a frickin' editor; typos are bloggers. It's unsurprising that these games are sponsor related (sure Stern pushes the Euro preseason games, but Montana and the Dakotas?). But props to the Wolves Sales department (or Red Auerbach for teaching Kevin McHale some marketing saavy; see the Bismarck article) for keeping the US Bank partnership that will hopefully grow the fan base. Plus, this is another good opportunity to link to my Google Map of NBA arenas. While we may be difficult to put in a division, at least we have a wide swath of fans to draw from. Wait, what's that you say? NBA teams are more successful in dense, concentrated markets... oh. Well, if there's one thing we Midwesterners are good at it's making due with mediocrity.
- HoopsWorld has a story about last year's cellar-dwellers and there prospects this coming season. Minnesota is excluded and I'm not quite sure how to interpret that.
- Mike Trudell at Timberwolves.com has an audio interview with Craig Smith following-up on his rehab. I can't listen at work, anyone got a summary?
- The Pistons are doing offseason wrap-ups for each team in the NBA and just posted the Northwest Division. Projected starting lineup: Foye/Miller/Carney/Love/Jefferson. Don't ask me, I just link to there.
- We Drafted Pooh has a post on TrueHoop's article on Mike Trudell's article on Mike Miller's shooting.
Jerry Zgoda's reporting that the new uniforms will be unveiled at noon on Monday. I still don't understand why they don't just revert to the original jerseys. They look like the Bulls' jerseys to me and those haven't changed for a long time. There's also going to be a new online store where we'll be able to purchase these new jerseys. I just got the email too:
Please join us on Monday, August 18, when the Wolves unveil new uniforms for the 2008-09 season with a noon rally at the IDS Crystal Court in downtown Minneapolis. Two large inflatables with large jerseys for fans to view and sign will reveal the new uniforms. The unveiling will be hosted by Tom Hanneman and include Assistant General Manager Fred Hoiberg. This will mark only the third change in uniforms in the team's 20-season history.I'll be first in line for this bad boy: