There is a load of Wolves commentary and news from the week, and I did a crap job of covering it on time. So to make it up to you, here's a links mega-post!
- Al Jefferson has been in the news quite a bit this week. First and foremost, Al appears to be out for 2-3 weeks with a sprained knee (Star Tribune, Wolves Watch, FanHouse). He suffered the injury during a 5-on-5 game with teammates and will miss the beginning of training camp. Yes, it's a little frightening given that we know this team will not improve without Al. And, Al's had some knee and ankle injuries in the past. But so far, all signs point to this being only a delay in his training.
Jerry Zgoda also mentions that Al, Randy Foye and Mike Miller joined Coach Wittman in Chicago for Shaun Livingston's workout. Seems to lend credibility to claims that the Wolves are really serious about signing him.
- And just when he suffers an injury, Al gets a bit of recognition. CBS Sports lists Al #12 on the list of best PFs in the game. It's tough to argue Al over many of the 11 ahead of him on this list, but I don't see how LaMarcus Aldridge (who I like quite a bit) is better than Al right now. I think they might have slept on Al's jumper in the comparison. Slam Online's Myles Brown puts Al Jefferson at #33 in the NBAs Top 50. Last, but not least, Tom Ziller (who you may remember from this weeks Telfair debate) gives Al the nod for #18 in his top 50 series. Ziller's best statistical comparison for Al at this age? Karl Malone. Not bad at all, as long as Al can steer clear of the poor parenting and . And in the not-so-prestigious category, Sporting News lists Al among the young stars ready to fizzle.
- They always say you should sandwich criticism with compliments. So, following the prediction of fizzling, here's a feel good from the Miami Herald about Al donating $25,000 to the Miami Dade College Foundation for a scholarship fund. Heckuva move for a guy that didn't go to college. The donation was made in honor of Al's late father.
- It's preview time in the NBA and there was no shortage of Wolves content this week. It's amazing how varied the quality of sports previews is... actually, given that everyone and their fantasy league commish do it, the range isn't that surprising. ConnPost covers the Northwest, Dime Magazine, and RotoTimes breaks down the West for you and your fantasy commish.
- Did you hear the one about Mike Miller and Jason Collins being traded to the Lakers for Lamar Odom? I know, I think it's absurd as you do. But, apparently an idea floated by HoopsWorld was picked up as a rumor elsewhere.
- Ball Don't Lie has done their Blog Association post for the Timberwolves. Hoopus gets a nod over there.
- Kevin Love has been getting quite a bit of heat these days, too. He was on Sludge and Lake last week, Four-letter's Chris Broussard had a chat with him, and suffice to say that David Thorpe is pro-Love.
- The official side of the team's been putting some info out there too. Timberwolves.com has an interview with Coach Cooper and a Website Editor/Writer and Group Event Executive/Representative.