WNBA Draft Lottery is Today
While the NBA and its players continue to hash out a deal, the WNBA Draft Lottery will be held today, Thursday, November 10th, in New York to determine the top four picks in the 2012 WNBA Draft.
The Minnesota Lynx have won the WNBA Draft Lottery in two consecutive seasons (they traded the pick in 2010 to acquire Lindsay Whalen and drafted Maya Moore in 2011) and own the Washington Mystics' 1st round pick in this year's draft, which gives them a 27.6% chance to win the overall #1 pick for 2012. They acquired the pick after trading forward Nicky Anosike to the Mystics two days before the 2011 draft.
The other three teams vying for that #1 pick are the Tulsa Shock (3-31), the Chicago Sky (14-20) and the Los Angeles Sparks (15-19).
After those four, the remaining order for the first round is:
5. San Antonio
7. New York
8. Washington [from ATL]
10. Washington [from SEA]
WNBA Draft Prospects
Top prospects for this season's 2012 WNBA Draft include:
- Nnemkadi Ogwumike, a 6'2" small forward from Stanford
- Shekinna Stricklen, a 6'2" guard from Tennessee
- Shenise Johnson, a 5'11" forward from Miami
- LaSondra Barrett, a 6'2" forward from LSU
- Glory Johnson, a 6'3" forward from Tennessee
- Samantha Prahalis, a 5'7" point guard from Ohio State
- Riquna Williams, a 5'8" guard from Miami
- Devereaux Peters, a 6'2" forward from Notre Dame
- Tiffany Hayes, a 5'10" shooting guard from Connecticut
- Tyra White, a 6'0" guard from Texas A&M
- Courtney Hurt, a 6'1" forward from Virginia Commonwealth
- Kayla Standish, a 6'2" forward from Gonzaga
As the WNBA offseason progresses, I'll definitely be posting more information about these draft prospects and who the Lynx should take with their top-4 pick and their #12 overall pick, as well as any other offseason developments.