College ball has started. I know, I watched it happen. Here's some quick notes on what I saw:
- Yes, it was just one game. But in that one game, Kentucky's Anthony Davis absolutely looked like the #1 draft pick he's billed as. 23 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks on an impressive combination of skill and athleticism. That #1 overall spot is his to lose.
- Jared Sullinger (Ohio St) looks to be in much better shape this year. Less Zach Randolph, more Al Horford. Likewise, he moved much better as well. He's a top 5 pick.
- No Perry Jones. He's still serving a suspension from booster allegations last year.
- Harrison Barnes appears to have made the right choice returning to UNC. He appeared much more confident and controlled, and played a much more efficient brand of basketball.
- UNC definitely has a strong trio in Barnes, Tyler Zeller, and John Henson. But in my book, the real #1 team is Kentucky with Davis, Michael Gilchrist and Marquis Teague.
- Another player who made a great decision to stay - UConn's Jeremy Lamb:
Lamb went off last night, scoring 30 points on 11-17 shooting (5-8 from three). He also showed off an incredible skillset, including a vast array of things we didn't see from him last year. Crossover jumpers, crossover drives, stepbacks, stepthroughs, and some impressive body control in traffic.
I'm already on the Lamb bandwagon. A team that needs a shooting guard with legit size and athleticism who can handle the ball, score and defend won't do any better than this kid. Too bad our pick goes to the Clippers....ain't that a kick...