For the second time in three years, the Minnesota Lynx are WNBA Champions.
They completed a three game sweep of the Atlanta Dream tonight in Gwinnett, GA. with an 86-77 win that was much closer than either of the first two games of the series.
The Dream came out much more aggressively on defense tonight, double-teaming hard, playing passing lanes, and trying to force the Lynx away from their bread and butter plays for their scoring stars Maya Moore and Seimone Augustus.
It worked early, but once again the Lynx showed off their depth of talent when Janel McCarville made four jumpers in the first quarter to stake Minnesota to a lead they would never relinquish.
The Lynx were just as fierce defensively, and forced Angel McCoughtry into several misses and turnovers early, and the Dream didn't get going until she went to the bench.
The Dream closed to within three at halftime thanks to the play of their bench, particularly guards Tiffany Hayes and Alex Bentley, who were their two best players tonight, combining for 38 points and nine assists.
It wasn't enough, however, as the Lynx slowly but relentlessly built their lead into double figures in the third quarter behind an aggressive Maya Moore (23 points) and Rebekkah Brunson (15 and 12).
The Dream tried to make a last stand in the 4th quarter, cutting the lead to six at a couple of points, but strong drives by Monica Wright and a suddenly hot Seimone Augustus were enough to hold them off and the Lynx are once again WNBA Champions.
- For the second game in a row, the entire starting lineup finishes in double figures
- The Lynx shot 26-31 from the free throw line, which was a huge difference in the ballgame.
- Once again, the Lynx finished over 50% from the field (53%), and they held the Dream to 42%
- The Dream finally found their stroke from three, making 9 of 17, but it wasn't enough.
- Maya Moore wins the WNBA Finals MVP award.
- The Lynx will hold a parade downtown followed by a pep rally at Target Center on Monday starting at 11:30am. Check their website for details.