Yesterday, John and I were in the Sizzlin' 999 studio for another episode of the CH Program. C is, of course, for Canis and H is (you guessed it) for Hoopus.
There are a few ways you can listen to the program.
Download the latest episode of the CH Program using iTunes. This link will bring you where you'll need to be in order to do that. By all means, subscribe to the Sizzlin' 999 Radio Station on iTunes and listen to our colleagues shows. There's music, wrestling, baseball, football, soccer centric programs available, if you're into those sorts of things.
This link will steam Episode #8 of the CH Program on your web browser. It is an mp3 stream. I have a few friends (I know, shocker) who love their RSS feeds. The aforementioned link is what I send them.
If you like to watch the video stream it's embedded below.
On the show...
RECAPS FROM LAST WEEK:
These are some notes from the show plan.
WIN OVER THE BROOKLYN NETS, 98-91.
Min: R. Rubio played 34 minutes. Scored 14 Pts (6-11 shooting), 8 Reb, 12 Ast, 2 Stl -- missed the TRIPLE-DOUBLE by two rebounds.
BKN: D. Williams 19 Pts, 2 Reb, 6 Ast, 1 Blk
LOSS TO THE ORLANDO MAGIC in OT (112-103)
Ricky Rubio badly sprained his left ankle during the tail end of the second quarter and the Wolves ultimately lost to Magic in overtime. In other words, it qqqwas 1 night with 2 terrible losses. Entering the game, Rubio was averaging career-best in PPG (10.8), APG (11.0) and FG pct (42%) but his season will no go on hold for a bit.
Ricky Rubio will be on crutches for the next ten days to two weeks as the swelling subsides.
LOSS TO THE MIAMI HEAT (102-92)
The Heat shot 59 percent from the field through two quarters. Miami finished the game shooting 52% from the field.
Wolves: 35-87 (40%) Heat: 41 of 78 (52.6%)
The Wolves are going to struggle without Ricky Rubio.
This was incredibly bad timing. Rubio signed a new long-term contract on October 31, two games into the 2014-15 season and just hours before the NBA deadline to reach an agreement. $55 million over four years
Reference: Britt Robson's column at MinnPost: "Ricky Rubio's injury could not have come at a worse time for the Timberwolves"
How does Rubio's absence impact his teammates?
Ricky Rubio On/Off Numbers
Points Per Possession: Rubio on floor.
Thad: 1.16 (123 minutes)(246 possessions)
Pek: 1.03 (114 minutes) (228 possessions)
Wiggins: 0.88 (103 minutes)(204 possessions)
Kevin Martin: 1.56 (82 minutes)(166 possessions)
Points Per Possession: Rubio off floor.
Thad: 1.13 (68 minutes) (139 Possessions)
Pek: 1.18 (62 minutes) (120 Possessions)
Wiggins: 1.00 (60 minutes) (117 possessions)
Kevin Martin: 0.83 (78 minutes) (147 possessions)
Starting in Rubio's place...
Zach LaVine: Starting PG: 2 of 5 (1 of 2 3PA) five points, six rebounds and four assists (two turnovers.). Thought he got stronger as the game went on. Didn't look incompetent.
Can he penetrate? LaVine made it to the rim in the half-court less than once per game in college.
On the season:
Points Created Per 48 Minutes: Points created by a player or team through their assists per 48 minutes.
SMALL SAMPLE ALERT.
Zach LaVine: 17.3
Ricky Rubio: 40.2 (2nd highest total in the NBA)
AROUND THE LEAGUE: EARLY SURPRISES
Sacramento Kings are 5-2.
- Boogie is 2nd in NBA in FTA at 68 (53 makes) Rudy Gay is 43-50. Lots of FT's. Off-season addition Darren Collison is playing well for them at point guard. One of these losses came to an injury ridden Oklahoma City Thunder club. 101-93. Kings defeated the Phoenix Suns, 114-112 and it took 2 OTs.
- Celtics (3-3) and Rondo (9.0/11.2/8.0/1.6 steals) are playing pretty well, showing they may make a run at a playoff spot in the East. Beat the Bulls on Saturday. Losses: Houston, Dallas, Toronto. Sullinger/Olynyk playing well in the front court. Marcus Smart went down with an injury(sprained ankle, bone bruise) and was taken off the court by way of a stretcher last Friday against the Indiana Pacers. Smart embracing rehab on road back. Could be out 2-3 weeks, which is quicker than many would expect. "Marcus looks great," said Stevens. "I saw Marcus [on Sunday], he was in for treatment three times. He's been in for treatment already today. He looks better than [Sunday]; better than the day before. It's progressing the way it's supposed to."
- Player: Tony Wroten, 76ers ----> 21.9 ppg / 6.7 apg / 4.3 rpg / 2.7 sls / 44 FG% / 33.6 mpg -- he's been starting in place of MCW who is on pace to return this Thursday for Philly.
- Is Gordon Hayward, 24, worth his $63M max contract he received this summer? Playing like it early on this season for the Utah Jazz. 19.4 ppg/5.1 apg/6.3 rpg -- shooting 50.5% from the field, 36.4% from deep and 97.2% from the line. Hit a big shot to beat LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Things that don't surprise us:
- Lakers are 1-5, allowing a league-worst 112.7 ppg. KOBE LEADS THE LEAGUE IN FIELD GOAL ATTEMPTS PER GAME (23.7).
- Sixers are 0-7. Indiana is 2-6.
- Cavs start 3-3. Slow start for a team trying to adjust to each other. NOT SURPRISING. Sam Smith is reporting that Kevin Love is opting-out and is interested in the Lakers. AGAIN, it's not surprising. Of course, it's pretty stupid though, he'll opt out to get more money with with Cavs. So false. Please, this story does not have legs yet it will probably lead SportsCenter.
- Memphis is allowing only 87. 6 ppg (best in NBA)