We’ll have a lot more over the next couple of days, including a report from Mayo Clinic Square, a look at the Wolves new cap situation, what the trade means for the roster depth, what specifically Jimmy Butler brings to the team, and more.
A few bits left over from last night:
- The Thibodeau-Layden presser was delayed (much to Meyer’s irritation) because they were trying to get back in to the second round, apparently. They were not able to.
- The Wolves have signed a couple of undrafted free agents: Charles Cooke from Dayton and V.J. Beachem from Notre Dame. Should be on the Summer League squad. More on them to come. (Preview: wing shooters.)
- Ricky Rubio trade rumors persisted after the Butler deal, but as always (so far), nothing happened.
- As I wrote last night, this pushes the Wolves back to relevance. Here’s an example from The Undefeated.
- This puts the pressure on everyone in the organization to make it work. Which is a good thing.
- Thibs said he spoke with Butler, who is in Paris (nice) at the moment, and he’s happy with the deal, though what else is anyone gonna say?
- In other first round deals, the Kings traded 10 (Zach Collins) to the Blazers for 15 (Justin Jackson) and 20 (Harry Giles.) Obviously depends on what prospects you like, but I would not have done this is I were the Kings.
- The Nuggets traded 13—Donovan Mitchell for Trey Lyles and 24 (Tyler Lydon.) VJL lets them take a Syracuse guy! (I sort of like this for both teams, think Lyles might still have something, but it could really bite the Nuggets if Mitchell is good.)
- Free agency in about a week. Catch your breath.
- It was a good night for Tyus Jones.