Ugh, more power forward talk... Let me defend my obsession with “the bigs.” I think this topic is interesting for multiple weird layered reasons:
- Defense is obviously the Minnesota Timberwolves’ biggest issue. And most specifically that issue shows itself in the frontcourt. Inherently, that makes whatever they do at power forward or behind KAT at backup center pretty damn important.
- To me, it’s pretty fascinating how much Rosas has zagged away from the traditional power forward zig. I’m not even saying I agree with the tactic of prioritizing shooting and speed at the position, I just find it really interesting that it has been the priority.
- From trading Dario Saric
- To starting Robert Covington
- To never really playing two bigs together
- To Covington and Towns not really working
- To trading Covington for what brought back Juancho Hernangomez
- To not really adding any real power forward options this offseason
- It’s just such a bold move. And it’s not one I’m not trying to empower or indict; I’m just interested in tracking it.
So, on today’s episode, I dig into the players Ryan Saunders has named as options this season both next to and behind Karl-Anthony Towns in the frontcourt.