After Tyrese Haliburton earned back-to-back Rookie of the Month awards for January and February, Anthony Edwards has rightfully usurped him for that honor this month. What a month it was for the 19-year-old (Yes, we will continue to bang that age drum until August 5, 2021), as he essentially “led” the Timberwolves to a 5-8 record in March. Typically, a .385 month is laughable, but considering the .200 pace the Wolves were on previously, it was a significant step up for Minnesota. His play has also extended beyond just the team’s record. For instance, he’s bounced back from getting benched late game in consecutive matches to nearly upset the Nets single-handedly in the 4th, followed by his late game heroics against the Knicks yesterday. He’s already an all-world quote machine, and an all-universe highlight machine:
- Ant is now the 8th player in Timberwolves history to have won a Rookie of the Month award. The following list is a
funsad walk down memory lane: Karl-Anthony Towns (6x), Andrew Wiggins (5x), Gorgui Dieng (1x), Ricky Rubio (1x), Kevin Love (1x), Randy Foye (1x), and Stephon Marbury (1x).
- He joins LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony as the only teenage rookies to average 24+ points per game in a month. *bangs drum*
Most PPG in a month by a teenager in NBA history (min 10 games):— StatMagic (@statmuse) April 1, 2021
27.1 — Carmelo Anthony
26.3 — LeBron James
24.2 — Anthony Edwards pic.twitter.com/ibtBhzG5Kr
- Ant has made 101 three pointers as of today. By achieving this mark by the age of 19 years and 238 days, he becomes the 3rd youngest to do so behind Kobe Bryant and Kevin Knox. I bet you didn’t expect to see those two names today.
- Of all the breathtaking performances that we got from Ant in March, his career-high 42-point performance was the most awe-inspiring. Let’s take a walk down memory lane to relive that moment:
Anthony Edwards tallied a career-high and new Timberwolves rookie record 42 PTS in the road win vs. PHX! pic.twitter.com/CQkF4ijKAl— NBA UK (@NBAUK) March 19, 2021
- Edwards, who is now a real threat to win the end of the season Rookie of the Year award, has also threatened to put Canis Hoopus without a Site Manager.
I would sell all of my organs for Anthony Edwards. pic.twitter.com/SI0uFClaKQ— Kyle Theige (@KyleTheige) April 1, 2021
I’m just thankful we got the March of the Ants.